Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

The show comes down

The sound of a drill buzzes in my ear
The hammer pulls nails from wood
People holler for an extra hand
A suggestion to move so you don't get something dropped on you
Those who were on the stage, somewhat begrudgingly, tear down their "home" of the past two weeks
And those behind the set relish being given the "spot light".   They become "stars" who ably, nimbly, and quickly take it all away (as fast as they put it all up)
The show is done and all is cleared away so another one can go up
The life cycle of acting.

I've never experienced post show depression
And I wouldn't say I am experiencing it now
At least not in the degree to which the term "depression" implies
But today, the first day after this show's close I feel quieter

Someone once related a show to carrying a baby
The woman carries, cares for, coddles, feeds and supports a life literally within her womb
It is a piece of her for nine months and then one day it is gone.
For many this day equals a sense of loss and thus post partum depression

I don't spend nine months with a show (I only wish)
But I do spend countless hours living, breathing, caring for and supporting the "life" (character) I play
It has life for a few short weeks, during which I continue to nurture and care for it
And then in one day, one final show it is gone.

I do not know what comes next.
I am thrust back into the "real world"
Making money in a traditional way
Wondering when my next "birthing" will happen.
That wonder, coupled with the need to actively support a "life", leaves me feeling quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment