Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

Sundance, Fringe and Busyness

Okay let me see, the last time I posted was....yeah it has been that long.  I make no apologies, it is what it is.  Again I say I will try to be more consistent at this; however, I get so busy...


Speaking of which, what have I been up to, well after Tiny Piece of Land there was few weeks off, then the Fringe stuff started happening.  Two shows, I have two shows in Fringe.  Mirador is performing Lion, Witch and Wardrobe (which I tech and SM), and then I am acting in Sundance.  Then I have been working on the new show for Mirador which I have written/adapted, I have the film festival going on, another show with Lorie for Ashkenaz and finally the title role in My Name is Asher Lev which begins rehearsing September 4.  So I have been busy.  Where are we now?


Today the my Fringe shows opened.  Lion sold out, and Jon Kaplan was there to review it.  What a great feeling.  I had a few hours off and then I opened in Sundance.








Sundance has been a great experience. Working with Eli and Ana-Maria as dual directors was interesting.  There was not the structure I was used to, and Ana was rare to allow us to just get a whole scene out, the note came the second something happened which she would like to see.  So like always a different process that I had to adapt too.  It is part of the fun in this field but also can have its hassles.  I hope that I weathered this one well, as it did challenge me quite a bit.  Ana said all was good.  But what has all this lead too?


See, the role of Jesse, in Sundance, is the most fun I have ever had in my life in an acting role.  He is one crazy manic western cowboy.  As I rehearsed I found these ups and downs, vocally first, bringing life to the dialogue.  From there, came my character, my walk, my talk, my everything.  It is the greatest creation that I have personally done to date and I love playing this character.  I am just out of my tree with the fun of this role.  But more than anything I feel I have created a character, one that is truly mine, that has used all my skill and brought to life something which people will remember. Tonight, my great friend Stevie Jay, commented that my meticulous attention to detail was stunning.  Another commented that my presence on the stage was a focal point.  But  most valuable to me were the strangers commented on how powerful my performance was.  


I am grateful for all the positive feedback which I receive.  In the end though those comments speak to audience enjoyment and that is what I am hearing.  "We enjoyed the show" is what I am hearing and that is the most important part.  I am so happy to be playing this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment