Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

Asher Lev X: Closing

And so another show comes to the end.  Our last two shows were sold out, we had wonderful reviews in the Jewish Tribune and the North York Mirror (reposted in my last entries), our cast, crew and director were happy with our work.

What does it feel like to have a show close?  It is always different.  There is a commonality though, a bitter sweet mix of joy and sorrow.  Joy that the show is coming to a close and that it is time to move on to another project, another challenge.  Sorrow that it is coming to a close and it will not be done again; that this run is finished and so the story and characters lie to rest.

This show in particular for me is a strong mix of those emotions. As the run progressed, as is always the case, I understood Asher more and more.  His story rang true with me, or was more engrained in my psyche.  The words that flowed through me had that much more power, it was that much easier to convey the message to those watching.  This message, this story, for me personally, is a universal truth that I loved telling.  In addition to that, the role was phenomenal.  I was supported by a fabulous cast including Mark Albert and Tracey Beltrano and I could not have done the show without their great talent.  With that said the piece is written to highlight and put weight on Asher, or the actor playing him.  It was fabulous to have a role of this depth and meat.  Long powerful monologues, in which I visibly brought audience members to tears, moved and challenged thought processes, and overall got to shine as an actor.  It is one of my quintessential roles.  I will miss it.

This role also has value as it is a mile stone for me.  I joked with cast and friends "Ten years ago I was hired to hold a spear on a stage, because I wasn't good enough for dialogue!"  So true.  This piece tangibly marks my growth and hilights all the training, work and dedication I put forward as an actor.  Thank you universe for this gift.  

On to the next project.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. You were brilliant as always my friend. I know how far you've come, and how hard you've worked. I truly cannot wait to see you perform again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you comment and support.

    ReplyDelete