Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

The Fault of Canadian Cinema

In the past six years I have seen a lot of Canadian movies and they all seem to have one thing in common: a distinct Canadian style.  I can spot Canadian film and television a mile away by the way it looks.  Unfortunately, this Canadian does not seem to be appreciated by… well by anybody.  The result of this lacking appreciation seems to be that no one wants to watch a Canadian product.  It seems that everyone is drawn to the product of our more affluent neighbors to the south and no matter what we produce we just can't seem to compete.

I will take a moment to point out that there are exceptions to the rule and I know out there some Canadian films don't rank in my above statements.  It is a very broad brush I paint with. I am okay with that because I'm speaking to a majority right now.

Moving back on target, I don't understand why our film product is perceived as substandard.  Nor do I understand why we continue to make the same product and expect different results.  We as an affluent country have the means, the technology, the natural environment and for goodness we certainly have the talent on both sides of the camera to produce something different.  This is a point that I have raised many times with my friends, colleagues and, acquaintances and it seems everyone agrees: When will we make movies that compete against our American counter parts? 

Believe it or not I am the last person on the planet who wants to lose or give up any of my Canadian identity.  At the same time I am an artist who would like to see the work of my country competing on a world class stage.  All too often I see a great Canadian film crash because of our distinct style.  I for one am tired of it.  

I'm no genius, but when I look at marketing and gaining an audience it seems simple to me.  If everyone is selling big bright red juicy apples and people are buying them then anyone competing against them apples has one of two choices to make a dollar.

One: if your apples don't look as big, as bright as red and as juicy as the other guy's find a unique angle to market your apples so that people see value in something different.

Two: if number one is not working, then start selling big bright red juicy apples also.  This way you can compete in the market place.  Once you have a loyal following at your fruit stand, start trying to sell your other apples too.  In doing so you are now more competitive in the market place.

From where I sit, our apples are not big, bright red and juicy. Nobody seems to be buying them.  Hey Canada filmmakers, when you going to start selling big, bright red juicy apples?

No comments:

Post a Comment