Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Is Dying

I normally keep my posts to things related to acting but this week I make an exception.
I have been and, I imagine, always will be a lover of Christmas.


As a kid growing up the snow fell.
Streets began to glow with special lights and reflect in the new world of white.
The city put up lights and decorations.
Trees were decked out with Christmas fare.
The malls transformed into magical lands.
The fifth floor of the big department stores became Toy Land.
Carolers sung amongst the shoppers; and when they weren't present carols piped through the speakers.
Store windows were frosted white with scenes of winter play.
Santa set up a castle so we could visit.
Television ran  specials and hot chocolate flowed.
Most of all, on the lips of every person were the words of Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Christmas possesses a magic; a magic which transcends all races, cultures, creeds and colours.
It was a time when everyone seemed to simply say "I wish you well, we are brothers called man"
It seemed that tensions released and smiles dominated people's faces.
Christmas' magic, created through decorations, carols, windows, castles and trees,
Brought a general good will to mankind.

I went through the mall today
I heard no carols,
Decorations so sparse they were hard to see
One lonely tree
No frosted windows
No Toy Land
No castle
No jolly old elf
Most of all, no smiles and no words imparting peace and good will to man
Has Scrooge's Bah Humbug Won?  
(Ebenezer Scrooge copyright via Disney)












As I looked to the North I could not help think:
Christmas is Dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment