Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day Job

As an actor it has been a slow week.
I cannot believe I am about to say this but…
Thankfully it has been.

Like many actor's, I'd venture to say most, I have a day job.
Actually I have three day jobs.
Each one offers me the flexibility to pursue acting; but, due to that no single one offers me enough income consistently to just have one job
So I balance my schedule with the adeptness of a juggler doing the chainsaw finale and make sure I show up at the right place, with the right material, at the right time.  Careful planning

I am fortunate, I believe, because I truly enjoy the work I do during the day
Many actors, I understand, loathe the day job; however, it pays the bills when acting does not
It is an evil which must be endured

I've spoke of so many things that make acting a challenge
The craft itself is ongoing work, the networking, the vulnerability and so on
One more thing we actors consider is what do I do to make money?
We are not all sitting on a Hollywood A-List where day jobs are a thing of the past
The majority are unknown and part of our quest is something to fill the days with a flexibility to run out and make the audition; but most importantly pay the bills

So although this past week was slow as an actor
I was fortunate to gain full time work at my day job
Make some money and have no distractions
Not my dream week for sure
Nonetheless it was a week I am grateful for

Thanks Universe for putting rent in my pocket with comfortable ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment