Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding A Space (2007-01-22)

So I think that I have come across the hardest part of putting up a show. At least it feels that way right now. I think what makes it so difficult is the fact that it feels somewhat beyond my control. When I was worried about writing the show I overcame that by writing. It was something I chose to do for myself. The only thing lost was time and energy. But so much was gained on a personal growth level. The same applied when it came time to workshop the show. Now we are at the stage of booking a space. This has nothing to do with personal growth and I have no direct control over it. We, being the producer and Alison and I are weighing the options of dollar value to potential loss. We discuss the size of house to how much audience can come in, the venue location to how many people will show, are box office costs included, how do we sell tickets, can we fill the space and what is acceptable if we can?t et cetera; and last but not least is the space we decide upon available? There are a lot of factors to making a space suitable. It is not just about liking it and booking it. In the end the booking of a space feels like a gamble because it is an empirical numbers game. If we pick the wrong space, or do the numbers wrong we lose and it equals monetary cost to us. Oh where oh where is that Utopia where people just do what they want and everyone supports everyone? If someone finds it please let me know so I can move there.

No comments:

Post a Comment