Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Mascot Work (2007-05-18)

The life of an actor. I finish my own show and feel great. Three weeks later I am in a Cody the Penguin costume at Ontario Place handing out free tickets to the new Sony Pictures movie. Not a highlight in my career but definitely an interesting moment.

A good friend asked if I could help him out and offered fair compensation for my time. I said sure, but I have a few reservations We checked on the height build for the costume, working fans, time, scheduling and everything was good.

Saturday morning they pick me up and off we go. Find our way to our little spot and start to get into the costume. Some minor problems all resolved, zip the back goes up and the fans begin to inflate the costume to full size. It feels like I am in a giant balloon. Basically a big plastic bubble, covered in fur, with arm and leg holes. The light shines through his white belly and I feel quite serene. They tell me I look good and it is time to go. Wait I cant see anything. About one foot above my head is the penguins head with an opening in the mouth for me to look through. Who said that this would work for someone my height? Obviously the specs are wrong.

I have hazy shadowy vision with the light and a trusty guide. I will be fine, with some careful verbal direction from my sidekick. Onward march. My serene bubble begins to move, from the ankles only. The big feet make me kinda clumsy and the body comes to just about my ankles so I can only take tiny little steps. I shuffle along to the place where the children will be found

Fortunately the day is cool and the costume although warm is not unbearable. My serene bubble keeps me safe. Thud, I look at the white belly, from the inside out all I see is this shadow of a three foot person arms outstretched doing everything it can to hold on to me. It is not threatening but a different take on the world. I move my fin and pat the shadow on the head. It stumbles off. I shuffle forward, “to your left”, the whispered voice lets me know where the target is. I shuffle to eleven o’clock and wave. Another shadow hits the side. I move a fin and pat it. It stumbles off.

And so the day went. I needed to listen very intently to the parents voices and the childish squeals to get my bearings. I needed to trust I would not be left unattended. I did all of that and felt safe shuffling through life in my serene warm iridescent bubble. 

Not a highlight but memorable. Thank you acting for taking me places I could not imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment