Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

More Rehearsal (2007-03-02)

I recall the first time I met Daniel McIvor. It was back stage after Cul de Sac. I had waited for him, as truthfully my only idol like figure, I wanted to congratulate him on yet another stunning performance. He stepped through the door and when I called his name a very weary and tired looking man looked at me.

Last night we started exploring the characters of the script. There are eleven of them. We touched on three and worked for about two hours. Half way through the rehearsal I thought to myself: “this is going to kill me!” By this I refer to the jumping from one state of being to the next, not actor state of being like “the principal’s office”, I mean like one body to the next. Doing multiple personalities on stage is extremely tiring I discovered. The body takes on different postures, the voice has to find a new pitch, the mind works overtime as it seeks to remember which through line this character follows, what emotional state was I in/should I be in. I am doing everything I always do for every performance except I am doing it for eleven different roles. Holy crap who wrote this stuff? Right, I did. Truthfully I am really glad I did, and it is a joy to do this bouncy around, it is also very tiring.

I recall the face of Mr. McIvor that Sunday afternoon and I understand. I am going to love this once it is all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment