Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Progress (2011-09-02)

Today is the first day I don't feel overwhelmed in a number of weeks. While I was in Muskoka, working my Mirador summer, I was booked for a role in To Master the Art, the opening show for The Grand Theatre's (www.grandtheatre.com) 2012 season. I remember it well, standing in the booth of the Rene M. Caisse Theatre, getting video for our show, when the call came through. I screamed down to Steve and Marla "I booked the Grand!"

It seemed fitting to share it with them. Up in Muskoka, working on a dream with two other friends, doing it cause we love it, and because it is a way to keep our dream alive when the industry does not seem on our side. It just seemed right that my celebratory state was in that place, rather than some city coffee shop, or at a part time job. I got news that my dreams were coming true in a place where I was making my dreams come true with friends who share that dream. Sometimes I have to stop to appreciate how lucky I am.

I am without question excited that it is all going along. Naturally with any change things need to get done to prepare for it and that is what has caused the overwhelming feelings for the last bit. To add to it, we were discussing a December tour of Dubai for Mirador, and it looked promising (now more likely to be March), so that added to my list of things to do. I needed to clear up the MIFF accounts before going, Mirador accounts, learn a role for a government contract, meet my new agent, get new photos done, get a truck, get a storage unit, oh and pack, and... and ....and. 

They are wonderful things to be overwhelmed by. Fabulous things truly. So I made my list and began crossing things off one by one, adding when necessary and crossing off as I got those done. In the middle of this I received and accepted another offer for a Teatron Theatre's, A Tiny Piece of Land, to rehearse in December and play in January. And it hits me.

As I look at my list, with very few things left on it to do (I still have to pack), I realize I am packing in preparation to be living my dream, actually living it. Now, I have in the past worked contracts, gone on tour, shot film, commercials and all of that; it is part of my dream. What makes this different is that since mid June I have worked less part time and done more acting, that come September 15, thirteen days from now, I will only be acting, for the theatre which for me is my dream job. Following that I will return home and move into another theatre contract where again if I choose I won't need to maintain part time work. This is the longest stint of continual work as an actor I have ever had, the contracts are full union, I have an agent, I just shot a commercial, and I am living as a paid actor. My to do list is short enough, that I can take the time to do this blog and read a play. 

I am grateful to everyone who ever said I could do it, and to those who expressed doubt and fueled my fires. I know that as actors it is a "feast or famine" that there are "ups and downs" but in truth I aim to make this the longest meal ever. More to come, more to come, thank you universe for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment