Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

London Diaries (2011-09-25)

Today I arrived in London. Many have said, "London? England?" To which I smile, for I am in London, Ontario. Interestingly enough I visited London, England this past January so maybe it was a subtle pre cursor to what lies in front of me for the next six weeks. 

Six weeks; yes indeed, the length of time that I will be in this lovely Ontarian town. I am here for a contract at The Grand Theatre, which is in itself very exciting and I am sure that I will speak of that much; however, I would also like to document my stay here in town. It may be boring or mundane, yet it may be exciting or adventuresome. I can't imagine that groceries will be exciting but we will see. 

London (Ontario) has a special place in my heart. I have both family and friends here currently which is nice as I will spend some time with them. But for the history of my life I have always felt that London is a place for me, that London has been a part of me and my life. When I was young Rosie Duchuck lived here. She was the lady who took care of me, the "babysitter" as they were called then. I don't know the circumstances but I imagine her husband got a job transfer from Toronto and off they moved to London. The family was a friend of my mother's and so we came to visit them. I remember the long drives and rolling into Lambeth, seeing the lush green city which was magical to me. A place to visit old friends and have a good time. This was the beginning of the city's fondness to me.
I considered coming to school here; but, unfortunately they did not have a drama program at Western. Although my aunt came here, (she never left) and spoke highly of the town, without the field of study I wanted it would not win me over yet. I went to Waterloo, and my London aunt Ellen brought me my first case of beer. She came to visit often and on a few occasions I returned to London to spend time with my aunt. The magic stayed with me and I thought one day I would return and stay. 
As you know I am an actor and I think it was my first year of school, maybe my second, my lighting design class made a trip to London to see Dracula. It was a journey that would leave its impression on me forever. I cannot describe it fully, for it was in many ways no different than any other theatre show; but, something magical happened while here. We saw an amazing production, great acting, great sets, designs and lighting. Special effects, heavy fog I remember and all the elements of theatre in one show. Following we did a back stage tour, nothing new there, but for some reason on that night, the magic of the performance, combined with the technical of the back stage and I was struck with magic - theatre magic. I knew that this was the place I wanted to work - The Grand Theatre. And there it was another aspect that joined me inexplicably to London. 
Today I arrived in London to fulfill my dreams: to work at the theatre, to be part of the community, to experience the city. And what a welcome it was. I am billeted about twenty minutes walk away from the theatre in a beautiful old house with wide board hardwood floors. The owner is a wonderful open soul who has welcomed me graciously. Offered me a great snack for dinner and breakfast tomorrow to tide me over till I get groceries tomorrow. My room is large, with a small TV, a wonderful big double bed, a small work station, a beautiful antique looking dresser painted white. There is a well mannered dog in the house, a beautiful backyard and lots of books. 

So as I start my days here in London, ON my visions and dreams of what London was is becoming a reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment