Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

London Diaries - Food Again (2011-10-11)

As you know I am doing a show about food, and it is of course very heavily on my mind. In addition to the show, this past weekend was Thanksgiving and well there was a lot of food.

On Sunday the Director hosted those of us in the cast who did not go home for the holiday. It was a wonderful gathering, of good conversation, shared food, shared drink and overall fun. I was glad to spend my evening with such a wonderful host and the great company of my fellow cast and friends.

I am fortunate that I have family here in town so on Monday my festivities continued. I headed over to my aunt's early in the day, spent time with my cousins, talked with my aunt and uncle and enjoyed a nice leisurely morning. In the afternoon the rest of the family arrived and the food was brought out. More drink, more food, more good company, and I was again blessed to spend time with great company and my family.

It seems London is becoming the city of food for me. It is wonderful. Today at lunch I headed over to the market, Covent Garden Market, to get my lunch. Had a wonderful roti, and sat outside on the benches to bask in the sun. As I finished my meal, a middle aged man approached asking for change. Now let me clear, I really don't like being asked for change, I am of the mindset that the individuals should take charge of their life and get themselves off the streets. At the same time I know some people are truly in need and are lost out there. Years ago, a good friend of mine, a priest, Father James, expressed the same sentiment. He followed it up with this, "If I have the money then I am willing to share by purchasing a meal for someone who needs it." In this way, he knew he was truly helping, and had also discovered that those who did not want change for food would turn away, their hopes dashed on the spare change which could go to other less savory means. It also meant that my friend did not help promote, from a removed place, any illegal markets, with his spare dollar. So today a stranger approached asking for change, that he may buy food.

I thought nothing of it, and looked up to him, "I have no change to spare, but could I buy you lunch?" He graciously accepted, and into the market we went to get Chris some food. I don't share my story for any form of credit, that is not my point. Today as I talked to Chris, I was fortunate to know that I had some abundance, and I had the fortune of not worrying about where my next meal was coming from. I had the appreciation that for the last few days I have had something which is essential to our survival in abundance. I had the clarity to be thankful for that abundance and from that I had the willingness to share with others. My point, no my hope, is that this simple blog will give my readers a moment's pause, a thought, and maybe over the next few days or weeks some other people who are hungry will have the chance to be thankful for something so basic.

If we cannot share our wealth then what good is it for?


No comments:

Post a Comment