Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

London Diaries - Relish and Writers (2011-11-02)

Between shows today I went for a massage. As I lay on the table, feeling a relaxed and a little tired, I thought "I can hardly wait to get home and relax tonight after the second show". Little bells rang inside when I said that. I stopped, and recalled what I said and thought about it for a few moments while I lay there.

One of the skills we develop as actors is the skill of living in the moment. Each time we say a line we have to dedicate our focus to saying it as if for the first time. Each time we listen to that long monologue, we must hear it with fresh ears, and so we learn to live in the moment of where we are. And here I was already racing through my day, it was only 430, to get to 1130. Seven hours skipped over in a moment of thought. I took it in and said "I can hardly wait for this moment and the next and the next to sink in." And so they did. 

I lay there and with greater appreciation took in the massage. As I left I smiled as the warm sun beat down on me, after a few cold days without it. I walked carefully and purposefully taking in the park as I passed, the overpass, the stores, and my surroundings as I walked to the dinner I had planned. 

I was seated by the hostess at Garlic's, a highly recommended fancy restaurant, beside the theatre. I looked over the menu, ordered myself a nice chardonnay, garlic frites, a half chicken on mashed potatoes with a side of maple roasted vegetables. When it arrived I chewed slowly and took in the moment I was living. The luxury of the food, the atmosphere, and I reminded myself to relish each moment.

So the night progressed and I did not make it home, as I previously thought for 1130. To our surprise, the writers of To Master the Art, had come in from Chicago to see our production and following the show they wanted to meet us. Out of the dressing room I came and the moment that I almost missed in my hurry to get home (in my thought earlier) was the very casual, impromptu party that happened in the green room. The moments of wonderful stories on how this show came to be, the research and the fun which brought it all together. But most of all, the human connection as we all shared another moment which remains as part of our consciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment