Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

London Diaries - Food Fun (2011-10-07)

Have been here now for just under two full weeks and I am having a blast. First there is rehearsal and everything that goes with working on a show. I have had wardrobe fittings, dialect class for my American accents, shoe fittings and of course the rehearsal itself. All fun. I also have more spare time with the smaller role, which I find useful in terms of studying the script and preparation time. So as far as the rehearsal and the work goes, no complaints; I'd be a fool to do so if I had any.

I have also had time to make it to the gym, get regular sleep and in general feel good about myself. More good.

But what makes this such an experience is getting to know people. First off, for any who don't know To Master the Art, is about Julia Child the famous cook. So day in and out there is a lot of talk about food. I in fact get to eat on stage; the food is actually prepared on stage and it is quite tasty. As a result of all this food talk in rehearsal food is on the cast's mind more than it may normally be; the results are marvelous.

Each day it seems someone brings in some sort of "nibbly" for the group; some cheese, fruit, honey, crackers... some light snacks. We have as a cast gone out for drinks and of course ordered food which we shared. We share our lunches (trade bits and bites) and last night we had a little pot luck dinner. 

We headed over to someone's house, everyone brought food and voila dinner was served. Sharing food is such a great experience. It is a place and time in which people are brought together, not only over a common need, but also over a common theme. It becomes a place to talk, to communicate, to get to know someone. Food is a social event filled with all the emotions the human soul can offer. I rue the days of being a child wanting to watch TV rather than enjoy dinner with my family. But here I am in London, sharing food, communing with others, and getting to know the people I work with. Making friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment