Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

London Diaries - Laughter and Gifts (2011-10-21)

It is the afternoon before we open. We have assembled in the theatre, in the late afternoon, for some final notes and tweaks. But a few hours work before dinner and then we open.

Our director does not take long. Twenty minutes, if that, are needed to relay the few things that need to be looked at, briefly. Along the way we all chuckle at the notes and the brief stories that come with why we did whatever to lead to that note. It truly is more fun than work. And then to the stage.

The leads are up refining a moment, shifting position slightly to open something up for better audience view; we are after all presenting the stage stuff for an audience. As they wait for something technical to get sorted out they chat, the chatter becomes a giggle and finally a laugh. I looked around, a number of various conversations, all smiles and laughter. There it is, right before me one of the elements that hold me in this great life. Laughter. I remember my cubicle job, years ago, and the silence that it held. The almost fear of frivolousness. No one laughed and the only talking happened in respect to the project or necessary change of information. I dreaded that place and have heard there are many more like it. But here, today, I am reminded that this theatre and many others around the world are regularly filled with laughter, it is a part of our work, and I get to revel in it daily. The time passes quickly, and we are done. I head to my dressing room to grab my dinner and there at my mirror are a small pile of gifts.

It is opening night, and as per the traditions, people exchange gifts, to congratulate, to commemorate, to remember, to share the experience we have been on. Nothing extravagant, and it does not need to be, just items to remind of and connect to this show. A wooden spoon, an ice cube tray, a flower, a card, some food and so on.

I smiled and laughed and thought to myself: laughter and gifts are what my job entails. Everyday in some way I am given these things and London has helped me to see them. Oh what a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment