Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Preview (2007-04-10)

My head on the cool door, pre-show music seeps through silently, my heart pounding in my ears, my breath reminding me to stay slow, my thoughts focused, a crack of light begins to dim, this is what I do. A brief smile.

I cross the stage, right, a cabaret space, lights need to be on for servers, not as dark as I want it to be. That part is over, producer, light designer, director, writer, they have no place here, actor is the only one present. Breathe, exhale the others pull in the current. What is the first thing I do for this show? Yes, there it is. Find the place. Breathe. The light comes up.

Blinding, right in my eyes, adjust the focus. Breathe. Feel the moment and allow the memory to drop into place, here we are.

Darkness crossing a stage. Tip tap of my feet on its surface, is it really that loud? Breathe, no notes, stay focused. Lights, acting, light change cross stage. Nerves come up on me, looking into the audience, a familiar face, knowingly smiles, he understands. Breathe focus, next moment, focus.

Black out, extro music. Sitting stage right, deep breath, first show done. First presentation of my writing, first one man show, breathe it in. Stand and cross to center. Lights up, I am grateful that everyone is there, bowing; not for kudos but to thank them for supporting me, I rise and point to the booth. Everyone beyond my stage is vitally important. Thank you. Calmly walk away.

The door I entered on closes. Deep breath and smile. One moments relish. Time to move, I have twenty minutes to get to set to film the final scenes of my movie. Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment