Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Private Moments (2007-03-15)

Do you ever find yourself doing something anything really and realize that what you are doing has merit or you are good at it? Sometimes it is okay to be vane, because everyone has moments in life when they excel beyond all others; in those moments recognize you. 

I was rehearsing at home tonight. Going over the monologues and trying to get off book. I gave myself on hour to work as I am tired and I don’t want to get burnt out. I quickly learned the three monologues, just over a page of single space typing. I got up and started piecing it together based on my notes from previous rehearsals. I start moving around and doing the voices and the mannerisms. I am slowly getting caught up in the work and the words are flowing wonderfully. I am fully off book for something less than an hour ago was just fragments, I have taken the characters a step further. I look to my left and catch glimpse of myself in the mirror. For a moment I did not recognize me; and it hits like a ton of bricks. In this moment I am brilliant. I am allowed this moment. It felt good. 

This is not to say that I am always brilliant or that I am better than anyone else. It is a moment of recognition. I work like this at home regularly to get my roles and live up to what I say about myself. I work like this at home to ensure that when I am on stage people enjoy what they see and hopefully hear the messages in the words. In the end working at home like this is about digging as deep as I can so that my craft is as solid as it can possibly be. Tonight was one night where it was exceptional.

Remember to always find those moments and strive for them again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment