Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Hi & Lo (2007-02-02)

I am so frustrated. Taking on this project is a wonderful experience. How can one thing offer such contrasting emotions so quickly? I wanted to book a space; how hard could it be? I did my research: location, demographic, walk-ins etc. Looked for the type of space I felt could present my show and then went to the venue of my choice. I figured if you want to rent a hall then you do it, but it does not seem to be that way with theatre; maybe some but not all. Rent only covers overhead; the theatre as well as the presenter makes revenue on the ticket sales. So asking for available dates and saying I can afford your rent is not enough. Once I got through that we needed to present our proposal ? budgets, marketing strategy, the team that will pull it off. I admit I am na?ve in this side of the artistic world. I just want to do a show and thought it would be easy ? I forget that this industry is a business also and like all businesses they need to see monetary returns. Frustrating-art should just exist. Anyway back to the computer and meetings to draw up this proposal. Proposal presented it now has to be approved ? more frustration- I can?t move forward until I solidify my dates and venue (no posters without it, hell no show without it). So now I wait for someone else to agree that what I am doing is viable. Time feels pressed, but I know it must work. I know that because I believe not only in my work but that of my team.

In starting this project I knew I would have to surround myself with people who had certain expertise. I am not an island, as much as I would like to believe I am, some things are beyond my capabilities. So I approached friends and colleagues who I wanted to work with. This was all loose, somewhat informal, but I did not want to pressure or hound until the crux ? knowing the where and when it would actually happen. Given that the space booking is so much more involved, I was forced to ?secure? my team, set solid commitments from all. So as I sat down at my computer drawing up the booking proposal I also drew up proposals for everyone who had previously agreed to help. It felt nice to solidify this, more importantly, approaching this in a professional manner, or a formal manner, with ?contracts? makes it feel that much more real. I received some feedback that approaching it this way also meant less conflict and it was easier for people to agree because they had a clear understanding of what I was asking of them. With that done I am now officially surrounded by an extremely talented group of people who I know want to be a part of this and make it a great show. It feels exhilarating to know that when we confirm the space the ball will be set in motion and everything will get accomplished. The hi?s and lo?s of getting a show off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment